A Learning Collaborative on Safe Practice Recommendations
April 11, 2003
The Massachusetts Coalition for the Prevention of Medical Errors, together
with the Massachusetts Hospital Association, is hosting two collaboratives
on Safe Practices to Promote Patient Safety in the areas of Reconciling
Medications and Communicating Critical Test Results. The Coalition, through
consensus groups, has identified safety practices based on the literature
and national models to address these clinical problems and reduce related
errors. A two-year program including collaborative learning opportunities
and other support to facilitate and promote safe practice implementation
for the following two topic areas is underway.
The first learning collaborative to support hospital teams in the Reconciling
Medications initiative will be held April 11. The program objectives,
audience, agenda, and registration materials are provided below.
The program will cover the following topics:
This program is designed to engage teams from Massachusetts hospitals
in improving medication safety by adopting a set of identified safe practices
for reconciling medications at patient interfaces.
- Identification of a set of safe practices to reconcile medications.
- Examples of errors that can be prevented by these practices.
- Potential for impact through the adoption of the reconciling practices.
- Improvement lessons from local and national models, including concrete
strategies and useful tools.
- Organizational barriers to implementation, and how to overcome them.
- Developing an action plan for implementation, with aims, measures, time
frames and role responsibilities clearly defined.
Participants will learn how to:
Who Should Attend:
- Assess medication errors and harm associated with incomplete medication
lists at their institution.
- Describe the reconciling medications process.
- Implement a reconciling medication process.
- List at least two implementation strategies that are effective in reconciling
Hospital implementation teams of 3-6 people from the following disciplines:
- Nursing leader
- Staff nurse
- Pharmacy leader
- Pharmacy support
- Patient safety/QI representative
- Staff education representative
to Education Events