A Learning Collaborative on Safe Practice Recommendations
January 26, 2004
Wyndham Hotel, Westborough, MA
Registration: 8:30 AM
Collaborative: 9:00 AM — 3:00 PM
The Massachusetts Coalition for the Prevention of Medical Errors, together
with the Massachusetts Hospital Association, will host the third in its
series of Reconciling Medications Learning Collaboratives on January 26,
2004. The goal of the Collaborative is to reduce the occurrence of adverse
medication events in Massachusetts by having hospitals throughout the
state adopt a set of Safe Practice recommendations focusing on Reconciling
Medications. These practices address medication errors at patient transition
points. Hospitals implementing the practices have demonstrated their potential
for making substantial improvements in patient safety. The practices address
communication, teamwork, and information transfer issues, all fundamental
system factors linked to patient safety.
The purpose of the January 26 program is to accelerate improvement activity
of Massachusetts hospital teams engaged in implementing safety practices
for Reconciling Medications. All participating teams will report on their
progress to date. All participants will have opportunities to discuss
both issues they have encountered and their proposed action plans with
both program faculty and colleagues.
- Status report on Massachusetts hospital activity in the Reconciling
- Improvement lessons from participating Massachusetts hospital teams
sharing strategies and useful tools.
- Overcoming organizational barriers to implementation.
- Networking opportunities.
- Developing an action plan for implementation and sustaining progress.
- Identify new implementation strategies for reconciling medications
that have proven effective
- Evaluate your hospital team’s implementation progress and develop
a plan for accelerating improvement.
- Identify organizational barriers to implementing reconciling medication
processes at your institution and develop strategies for eliminating
- Utilize individual team coaching and feedback from colleagues to
plan next tests of change.
- Refine skills in assessing medication errors and harm associated
with incomplete medication lists at your institution and in measuring
your organization’s implementation effectiveness.
Who Should Attend:
Program faculty includes experienced facilitators from the Institute for
Health Care Improvement and from Massachusetts hospitals with established
Reconciling Medications initiatives, along with Coalition staff.
This is a team project, and hospitals are encouraged to send several members
from their Reconciling Medications implementation team, representing the
- Nursing leader
- Staff nurse
- Pharmacy leader
- Pharmacy support
- Patient safety/QI representative
- Staff education representative
- Other (Administration/Leadership, P&T Committee, IT)
* Unfortunately, space limitations may require us to limit
the number attending from any one institution, depending on the number
of registrations received.
to Education Events